Saturday, June 28, 2014

Introducing: Mitch Gallagher


Mitch Gallagher is a native of Maryville, MO but knew from an early age that he wanted to be a country music singer so he made the move to Nashville, TN and attended Middle Tennessee State University. While there a friend suggested posting covers of songs on YouTube and the rest is history. With his blue-collar work ethic and unique voice, the young independent singer/songwriter is quickly beginning to turn heads in Nashville after recently being accepted as a Recording Artist Member of the Country Music Association (CMA). I encourage you to follow Mitch on his social media sites: Facebook Twitter YouTube

When did you realize you wanted to make singing your career? 
Singing has always been apart of my life. I grew up singing in church, as well as in choirs and at talent shows. I always knew that I wanted to make a career out of it one day, but it wasn't until I attended Interlochen Arts Academy for Vocal Soloist studies the summer after my senior year of high school that I knew how I was going to do it. I began songwriting there, and for the first time in my life I was surrounded by some of the most talented and dedicated young musicians in the world. Seeing their drive, passion, and focus on their music inspired me to finally make a change, and I decided then and there that I was going to move to Nashville, TN.

Who were some of your musical influences growing up? 
Like many small town kids in the 90's, I grew up listening to a lot of mainstream 90's at the time. Singers like George Strait, Garth Brooks, Tracy Lawrence, Alan Jackson, Clay Walker, Sara Evans, Vince Gill were all some of my favorite artists. I have always had a huge appreciation for Keith Whitley, as well as many of the singer/songwriters like James Taylor, John Denver, and Jim Croce.

In 2010 you started posting covers on YouTube, How did that idea come about and were you surprised at all of the support you received?
When I first moved to town, my first couple of months here were pretty rough. I lacked direction, and I wasn't surrounded by people with the same ambition and goals as I was, so it was a really confusing time. Fortunately, I became friends with Addison Johnson and Tyler Barham. They both took me under their wing, believed in me, and showed me the way. Tyler has had a ton of success with YouTube, and convinced me to start posting covers, and the rest is history. I'll never be able to repay those two for all they've done for me. I'm just now over 317,000 views. I don't know if I ever thought that it would take off as much as it has, so i'm just thankful that so many people have taken the time to listen to my covers and support me. My ultimate goal is 500,000 views so i've still got some work to do!

How would you describe your sound?
I would describe my sound as modern country with traditional country leanings. I'm absolutely in love with the fiddle, and i'm going to make sure that it is in every song that I ever record. My music is "Me", and whether it's an upbeat song, or a ballad, every song that I record is real and special to me in one way or another. My ultimate goal every time I play a show or someone listens to my albums is to move my listener in one way or another. I truly believe that if I have done that, I have done my job.

Who would be your dream collaboration?
If they were still alive, it would have been Keith Whitley and John Denver. They were both so heartfelt and real with their songwriting, and I would've loved to have had the chance to sit down and learn from both of them. Other than them, I would have to say Sara Evans without a doubt! Being from Missouri, she was such a huge influence on me growing up! She showed me that it was possible for a kid with a dream from small town Missouri to move to Nashville and have success in country music.

If you had the oppurtunity to write with any songwriters who would it be and why?
Kelley Lovelace without a doubt! I remember reading his book "If You Have A Dream, I have a Plan" before moving to Nashville, and hoping to meet him someday. Rhett Akins would be another, as well as Jon Randall.

What is your favorite part of the recording process?
I don't know if there is a certain part I like more than the other. The whole process as a whole is truly incredible. To watch a song that you wrote, come alive and become something is truly amazing.

Do you have any exciting plans for the rest of the summer and into the fall?
Mostly playing shows and writing songs. I'm fortunate to be able to go back to my hometown of Maryville, MO a couple of times this year and play shows, so I'll get a chance to catch up with some old friends and family members. Other than that, I am an avid sports fan, so I'm planning on going to a few St. Louis Cardinals baseball games, as well as a few college football games this fall!

What advice would you give someone trying to get into the music business?
I think the music business is a lot like anything else. It all begins with a dream. You have to truly believe in yourself, and know deep down that you are going to succeed no matter what the obstacles. Set goals and time frames to accomplish them in. Surround yourself with people that are better than you, and learn from them. Strive to become better at your craft and a better person each and every day. If you do all that, good things will happen.

What do you hope to be doing and/or accomplish in your career in the next 10 years?
I want to be a consistent Top 40 Billboard Country Artist, touring heavily across the country. My two biggest dreams are to perform at the Grand Ole Opry, as well as win CMA Male Vocalist of the Year. But more importantly, I just want to continue doing what I love for a living, and touch people with my music.


No comments:

Post a Comment