Thursday, May 29, 2014

Q&A with Singer-Songwriter Colby Dee



I was first introduced to singer-songwriter Colby Dee through another singer-songwriter Aubrey Wollett who also happens to be Colby's best friend about a year ago through Twitter. From then on through corresponding on Twitter & Facebook I became friends with Colby. I am looking forward to meeting her in person next week when I am in Nashville for the annual CMA Music Festival. Her EP Missed The Exit is available now on iTunes. You can follow her on her social media sites: Facebook Twitter Instagram

What is your life motto or advice you live by and who gave it to you?

When I moved to Nashville I bought a ring that said "Nothing Is Impossible". I have worn that ring every day since. I love this quote and live by it.

At what age did you start singing and when did you realize you wanted to pursue it as a career?

I started singing when I was 7 years old. My first performance was singing the National Anthem at a professional hockey game. Singing for such a large crowd and hearing that big of a cheer at such a young age sparked the fire for me. When I graduated high school I knew that I wanted to really pursue this dream and make it my career. I moved to Nashville and have been working hard ever sense.

Who are some of your musical influences?

I grew up listening to Shania Twain a lot. I would say she was by far my biggest with music. But other artists that I love as well are Martina McBride, Trisha Yearwood, and Michael Jackson! :)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you write songs and what is your favorite part about the process?

I draw from my own personal stories as well as friends and family situations. The beauty about writing music is I can tell any kind of story I want and writing with different people opens my mind each and every day. Some writing sessions are a venting session (aka: free therapy!) but in each write I learn something new. I am so grateful to be able to write music and share it with people.

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions fans have about being an artist and life on the road?

Being an artist and being on the road is something I will never  take for granted. I would never be able to do this without the support from my family, friends, and fans! However, there are days where it can be very lonely and you feel like you are missing out of some important things in your family and friends' lives. There are days when you doubt yourself and wonder if you are chasing something that will never happen. That's where my fans kick in and lift me up without even knowing and that's the beauty of this career.

Who are a few of your favorite country artists?

A few of my favorites would be Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum, and Miranda Lambert.

Who are a few artists you would like to go out on tour with given the oppurtunity?

Wow, that's a tough one because there are so many. I would love to go on the road with Lady Antebellum, Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, Miranda Lambert...and that's just to name a few! They all seem like such fun artists and their tours are amazing!

If you could record a duet or collaborate with any artists who would it be and why?

Again, so many come to mind! Shania Twain of course or Garth Brooks!

Thank you again Colby for letting me interview you! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment